As I get older I find it’s the skin under my eyes that gives the game away – I get up in the morning and it’s like I’ve been creased during the night, the lines seem to stick together almost, creating horror of horrors WRINKLES.
I can’t get away with calling them laugh lines these days (who laughs that much?) so I find the answer is just not to focus on them too closely before about 11am and to send in the big guns, aka eye creams, in the interim.
I’ve been using Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Advanced Rejuvenating Eye Serum every morning for the past couple of months now. This big name is accompanied by a little bottle, but happily you only need a tiny bit under each eye.
The ingredients list includes:
- Melatogenine – a melatonin-inspired substance that slows down cell hardening and speeds up cell renewal
- Thermos thermophilus – seaweed extract that helps stop collagen fibres stiffening up
- Spelt wheat peptide – brightens skin and has an anti-oxidant effect
- Organic silicone derivative – antioxidant
- Lactobacillus bacteria – rebalances the skin by restoring its micro flora
- Hyaluronic acid – holds in moisture and helps plump the skin
- Cactus pear extract – to smooth the appearance of wrinkles
The serum is a light cream, but it has a richness you can still feel on your fingers after application. It absorbs quite quickly but I find it helps if I gently tap around my eyes after applying it to help it sink in – use your ring fingers for this as these are your weakest fingers, so you automatically use less force (a handy tip I picked up from a skincare expert).
I have been impressed with the results. The skin under my eyes does look smoother and brighter, and it feels soft.
For me, the test is if I forget to apply a product how to I feel, and in this case the answer is anxious until I do (I’m the same if I forget to apply moisturiser, which happily very rarely happens.) Not many skincare products get that kind of reaction so this definitely makes it to my keeper list.
Gatineau Melatogenine AOX Advanced Rejuvenating Eye Serum costs £46.50 for 15ml.