Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Pocket money sweets - Christmas treats

I’m of an age where I can remember running to the corner shop with 10p in my pocket and being able to buy a big back of mixed sweets – chews, lollies, sherbet, liquorice – oh my, heaven for a kid. When I do the ‘I remember when’ speech now, I see Dot’s eyes glaze over as she thinks ‘here we go again, back to the days of the dinosaurs’.

But there’s some sweets that have been around as long as I have, maybe longer, and that’s the sherbet lollies, Love Hearts, Parma Violets and little fizzy sweets made by Swizzels Matlow. The Drumsticks and Refresher Chews came later if I remember rightly – and the refreshers were my favourite when I was about 11.  

So you can imagine how pleased I was to be sent a selection of sweets by Swizzels to review – yes that’s right, I was like a kid in a sweet shop! 


 

My favourite of the lot was this beautiful tin containing all of the sweets I’ve just mentioned. The packaging hits the message just right – a traditional look but with a slightly 3-D lid that stops it being old fashioned. It’s one tin that won’t be going into the recycling this Christmas as it will make such a lovely container for cakes and biscuits.

The sweets? Well they were just as I remembered them, perhaps smaller – or is it just that I’ve got bigger? I also remembered that I’m not really a fan of Parma Violets (but I know somebody who is so that’s okay). And Refresher Chews are still my favourites, though I do have a penchant for sherbet lollies, too.

I was also sent several tubes of sweets that are great as stocking fillers – Drumsticks, Love Hearts and Refresher Chews – and I will use them for that purpose. Except for the Refresher Chews, which I’ve eaten…

6 comments:

  1. We did not have these sweets growing up, but your post makes me think of how easy it is to feel like a little kid again when faced with treats from the past. The tin makes me think of the tin lunch boxes we had as a kid with the hard plastic handle. They had superheroes on them, (e.g., wonder woman, superman, spiderman, etc.). Cute post.
    http://www.writingmydreams.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and hello from 40s Chic. I can't help it when faced with a pile of kid sweets like these, I end up eating them all. I know the lunch boxes you're thinking of, they were cool.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy I loved the penny tray, but you have to admit it was stressful making the right choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't it just! But the shopkeeper didn't seem to mind a bunch of kids taking all day to pick out a few sweets, I bet that wouldn't happen now. Thanks for your comment Tabitha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got that box of sweets for my birthday in october yummmy!

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh we had a box of them at Christmas....There are none left...lol A huge hit in our house :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...