Friday, 9 November 2012

Travel - Hilton Hotel, Heathrow Terminal 5

From the moment I stepped into the Hilton London Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 I could not have been better looked after by the staff. This was my little stopover the night before my flight to Marrakech, which was leaving at 7.30am, meaning I had to be at the airport at 5.30am! Dreadful timing on my part.

However, as far as experiencing the luxury of the Hilton goes, I couldn't have planned it any better. I was given one of the executive rooms on the fourth floor and a key to the executive lounge (can you believe it). I did pop in there on my way down to dinner but just for a quick look. I know I could have sampled canapes and cocktails, but with a very early morning looming I didn't dare.

Dinner was in the deliciously named Mr Todiwala's Kitchen, and the menu, needless to say, was packed with a wide selection of great sounding dishes. Happy to take the advice of my waiter I decided on Murgh Makhani Pasanda and a side order of saag paneer, one of my favourite Indian meals. The accompanying roti bread, topped with mint, was excellent but - I couldn't finish it (so not like me) as there was so much to eat.

I still made a space for dessert though, not usually something I go for, but the homemade Parsee Caramelised Apricot Ice Cream sounded too yummy to pass up. It was.

Due to my early start the next morning I didn't have time to sample breakfast - who can eat anything at 5 in the morning (though of course later on in the day I did wish I'd taken the Hilton up on its offer.)







I loved the room - very big, great bathroom (me being the interiors anorak I am noted that the taps were Grohe, the sink and shower, Villeroy & Boch, and the bath - I don't know, though I did look. You will only get why this is great if you're an interiors nut like myself, if you're not then feel free to skip this bit.)

The room was equipped with a large desk and very large chair - ideal if you need to work from your room, and the TV is satisfyingly large. The lighting was spot on - task lighting, main lighting and mood lighting (my interiors side coming out again). My only quibble is the bed - it was too hard for me, but then again for somebody else it could have been perfect. I also couldn't get phone reception in my room, but I could in the restaurant and executive lounge, and as I was there for such a short time this wasn't a big problem.

I would love to stay at the Hilton again but for longer next time. It really made a difference to me being able to stay the night before my flight so close to the airport; the staff put me totally at ease, which was a big deal for me, travelling as I was, on my own.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Are you posting a blog on Marrakesh? Philippa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Philippa, indeed I am, I've already posted two updates on my trip and have a couple of others to do now I'm back. Let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...