Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Foodie Tuesday - comforting coffee cake



I made this coffee cake for the first time on Saturday as a late birthday present for my OH. I can’t take credit for the recipe as that belongs to the beautiful Pearls & Poodles, who blogged about it here.

I have just a few things to add having now made the cake:

I used 2.5 tablespoons of coffee but that wasn’t enough, I could hardly taste it, so next time I’m going with four or perhaps even five. Also, next time I will use more vanilla essence. Obviously this is a taste thing, but just thought I’d mention it.

Make sure you have quite deep cake tins. Mine aren’t, hence the mixture fought for room and I think that could be why it was a little heavy.

Also, it was the first time I’d used my new Russell Hobbs super duper everything maker (it has a liquidiser attachment and you can buy a mincer attachment for it, though after having watched a certain episode of Grey’s Anatomy last week I don’t think I’ll be chancing that particular item). Anyway, the point is that I am still getting used to the machine and may not have used the best mixer/beater attachment for the cake, which may have contributed to the slightly heavy texture.

As for the chocolate butter cream filling – it is lush, the best I’ve ever made, but there was way too much of it. I let Dot fill the cake and didn’t realise quite how much there was until I came to cut it, otherwise I’d have used some to top cup cakes or something. If you’re any good at adjusting quantities (which I’m not) you may want to make up less of this as also, it is very rich and a little really does go a long way.
 
The main thing is though it is delicious. And easy to make.  And delicious. It is definitely now in my baking repertoire.




Ingredients:


For the cake
8oz caster sugar
8oz soft butter
4 medium free range eggs
9oz self raising flour
Capful of vanilla essence
2-3 tbsp ground coffee

For the chocolate butter cream
6oz butter
10oz icing sugar
2oz cocoa powder




To make the cake:
1. Grease and line two cake tins and pre-heat the oven to 160°C.
2. Combine the butter and sugar and mix thoroughly until smooth and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, flour and vanilla essence and whisk together.
4. Brew the ground coffee with an equal measure of hot water; add to the mixture and blend together before dividing equally between the two baking tins.
5. Using a spatula, gently smooth the mixture out to the edges of the tins, so it is even and you are left with flat tops.
6. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Use a skewer to check the cakes are cooked properly. If the cakes are golden brown and the skewer lifts out clean, they are ready.

To make the butter cream:
Mix the butter, icing sugar and cocoa in a bowl until thoroughly combined – it should be a uniform colour, not streaky. The butter cream should be soft and glossy; if it’s too thick then add a little milk and mix again.

When the cakes have cooled, spread the butter cream evenly over one of them, then gently place the other cake on top. You can eat it as it is, dust a little icing sugar over the top to finish, or use some of the butter cream to decorate.


  


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...