Tuesday, 18 September 2012

New formulations and nostalgia




You know how some smells have the power to transport you to another place and time, well I thought that was going to happen to me this morning as I opened up a box of Pond’s Cold Cream.

In its iconic shaped glass jar, I remember it gracing the sideboard of a very dear friend, who at that time must have been in her sixties, compared to my youthful eight years or so.

I felt quite emotional as I removed the packaging, knowing I was about to live again in my mind, those far off days of childhood. I didn’t. It didn’t happen because they have changed it.
True I can still just about sense the original fragrance if I sniff long and hard enough, but that entails holding my breath, which cannot be carried on for any length of time, obviously.
It’s a relaunch of the classic cream and, as with so many things in life that are re-presented for newer times and consumers, it has been fiddled with. Whatever happened to the old adage ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’?
There’s always this striving to improve, which in some cases doesn’t work. For me, one such example is the cold cream. Or am I showing my age? Time doesn’t stand still and no matter what gorgeous memories we hold inside, would we really wish to be back in the past? It’s a hard question to answer.
I would love to go back and scoop up my most treasured memories and people, and bring them back to the present, to meet and live with those I love now. Nostalgia is a powerful state of mind.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...