Monday, 17 September 2012

Controversy = drama = more comments? No!

I spent a day last week at Blogcamp in London, meeting lots of lovely bloggers and listening to interesting and enlightening speakers. I learned a lot about Stumbled Upon, which is something I've long wondered about and I heard something that has been running back and forth in my mind ever since.

Controversy.

The thinking goes that you have to have strong opinions on subjects to create discussion and interaction with readers. Put simply, I slag off a celeb and then I get comments (often obnoxious comments) from people who don't like what I have to say. It's the same principle as drama requiring conflict.

But I don't think that's me.

My posts are about beauty, interiors, travel - fluffy stuff that is hardly likely to earn me hate mail. My posts on family or horses or cooking are, I hope, informative perhaps even witty sometimes, but again I don't go out of my way to annoy people or invite negative comments.

Which means, according to the speaker and ensuing debate at Blogcamp last week, that my blog is boring.

I don't agree.

I like it and I hope you do too.

There's enough animosity in the world without my throwing my two-penneth in just for the sake of it. If I have something to rant about, well that's different, but I'm not going to create a pretend argument just to get in an argument.

Just saying.

2 comments:

  1. I agree! My blog is about me and my horse. I don't want controversy or angry comments or anything like that. I like to look at blogging as a positive experience and others supporting people.
    Keep doing what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Allison, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Blogging is supposed to be enjoyable and I don't want to antagonise people for the sake of it. I also want blogging to be a positive, supporting experience.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...