Thursday, 6 September 2012

40s Chic - and so I am (!!)

It's that day again, the day when I climb ever further into my 40s. It amazes me just how quickly time passes - and how blinded we are by it. When I look in the mirror I still see a woman in her 20s and I feel no different than I did when I was 18, except perhaps I'm a little bit wiser and a lot more cynical.

One thing I've noticed when it comes to beauty, in your teens and 20s it doesn't matter what make-up you use or even if you have a skincare regime, you look good regardless. A couple of decades later and it does matter, very much so. This is the time that lack of cleansing, moisturising and sun protection comes back to bite you on the bum and when what you put on your face affects not only how you look but the ongoing appearance, even health of your skin.

I'm lucky in that my mam was very conscious of skincare and cosmetics. Her advice and enthusiasm rubbed off on me and I've been using moisturiser since I was at least 15 years old, perhaps younger. Her favourite was Nivea then Oil of Ulay (when it was Oil of Ulay). I still can't pass a Nivea tin without sniffing it and being transported back decades. Oh the power of fragrance memories.

I now have my own favourite skincare products and they have become more sophisticated over the years, each designed to do a different job in holding back the years. Not all of them are expensive, many are natural (I have a soft spot for organic ingredients and plant extracts) and some are luxuries that remain on my wishlist rather than in my bathroom for the majority of the time. In no particular order they are:


A great day or night cream that feels gorgeous even as you're applying it.
You only need a little and it sinks into the skin very quickly



I've been using this for years and it always does the job.
This is as good as some of the more expensive creams I've tried and it's better than a few others



My current favourite eye treatment and one I told you about here



Melvita organic skincare is another of my favourite
brands and its Youthful Skin Serum is lovely under moisturiser



Lovely and light, this is one of my favourite daytime moisturisers. I blogged about it here



I have told you about this before here. It smells fabulous,
it makes a change to using night cream and as it's an oil, you only need a few drops



Finally, as a sunscreen for your face, I haven't yet found anything to beat this.
It's not too sticky, not too thick, absorbs sort of quickly (quicker than other facial sunscreens I've tried), and it smells good. I first posted about it here



So just to finish off, I would like to say have a (virtual) piece of cake on me and a refreshing cup of tea (or wine) and let me know about your favourite beauty products in the comment section below. Enjoy the party!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...