Saturday, 25 August 2012

Stress less - five tips

I don't know about you, but sometimes life just gets too hectic. There's so much going on with family, home and work I feel like I just need to stop the world and get off for a while, take a step back and breathe, to find the energy to get back on that merry go round.

I've found the following actions work for me when my stress levels threaten to go through the roof...


imagerymajestic/ 
FreeDigitalPhotos.net





1. Find a quiet space (if that's possible) and just sit. Try and block all thoughts from your mind and just cover yourself in quiet. Even 10 minutes make a difference.






Ambro/FreeDigitalPhotos.net





2. Go out for a brisk walk or even better, a run. I'm still at brisk walk stage, but I hope to rise to a decent jog over the next few months. When I say brisk I mean so you're out of breath, not a slow saunter.







   
 bk images/FreeDigitalPhotos.net



3. Find a horse to cuddle. Be careful though if you're not familiar with horses and don't go cuddling equines you don't know as not all of them (or their owners) like it. There is nothing like a horsey cuddle to cheer you up, burying your head in that warm neck is such a joy. Luckily, I know several horses that love to be cuddled and fussed over.







tungphoto/ 
FreeDigitalPhotos.net





4. Chamomile tea - several cups of it. Chamomile has a calming effect, it soothes and relaxes; it's also good if you suffer from tummy upsets or sleepless nights. If you find the taste a bit bland it's worth persevering or try adding a tiny touch of honey to your cuppa.









Simon Howden/
FreeDigitalPhotos.net


5. Lavender. I know many people find this plant a little old fashioned, but along with roses I think it's my favourite floral fragrance. It's an amazing herb, with both antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, it was even used during World War I in hospitals to treat wounds and burns. Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to an aromatherapy burner, or add a few drips to warm bath water, to enjoy its relaxing and anxiety-lifting effects.



 

 On top of that if all else fails, there's always wine....

How do you get rid of stress? Let me know your top tips.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...