Monday, 6 August 2012

Beauty reviews - lips, eyes and nails

The new Liz Earle Signature lip colours are something to write home about. As you know if you read 40s Chic regularly, I love cosmetics containing natural ingredients, especially those that offer some kind of benefit besides looking lovely - anti ageing properties, skin firming ingredients, that sort of thing. These do that.

They're part of the new colour collection and launch this autumn. I have two of them in my hot little hands - raspberry and sweet pea, both of which are variations on a pink theme, so should suit almost everybody.

For daytime wear I would say they're spot on - the colours are subtle, nothing outrageous here, and the consistency is light. Importantly for me, they don't taste of anything; so many lip glosses and lipsticks taste of fruit, mint or even a sweet artificial something that make me go meh to put it mildly.

The consistency is smooth, not sticky, the effect they give is not too sheer but has a slightly wet look, and my lips feel soft, even to the touch, when wearing this. The colour stays put too and passed the highly sophisticated glass test I subjected it to.

There are 19 shades in the range, all contain shea butter, avocado and vitamin E, which could explain why they feel so soft. uk.lizearle.com


Raspberry


Sweet Pea


And a swatch from me - the shades are very close to each other
and hopefully you can see the slightly wet-look finish



I don't know about you but I hate the fact that as I get older the lines under my eyes seem to reproduce, sprouting little lines themselves. And first thing in the morning the bags under my eyes wear luggage labels! (Probably says something about the state of my liver, perhaps I need a good detox).

Anyway, for the last week or so I've been trialling the Detox Eye Roller by FAB and I have to say I like it. One of the things I like most about it is the metal ball that feels sooo cold against your skin as you apply the product. Now I know that's not what the product is all about, but first thing in the morning when your eyes are still tired, or later in the day after a stint at the computer, that metal ball is a godsend; it wakes up your peepers immediately and the effect lasts for several minutes.

The eye roller is a serum that contains bio marine extracts to help tighten and smooth your skin, as well as everyone's favourite ingredient, hyaluronic acid, which locks in moisture, creating a plumping effect. There's also glycerin to soften and hydrate, skin firming polymers and peptides to boost collagen production.

According to Fab: "Using the roller ball not only stimulates the skin, it also allows a no touch application to maximise the efficacy of the polymers. Mobilising lymphatic fluid that can pool in the neck and central face is an ideal way to optimise skin turgor and snap, giving skin a younger, more refreshed appearance."

I certainly find it refreshing and have it at hand on my desk all day so I can reapply whenever I feel like it.

If you're unfamiliar with the brand FAB stands for First Aid Beauty and was launched in the USA a couple of years ago. You can get it at Boots or from Feel Unique.





I have been wanting to try Bourjois 1 Second Gel nail enamel for a while and eventually tracked it down in Superdrug a couple of weeks ago. I bought two shades (there are 19 of them), one is Taupe Classy (or as Dot calls it, poo colour, though I'm sure that's not a beauty term), the other is Figue Chic, a mid purple.

The idea is these enamels give a gel finish without all the faff of a gel manicure, and they're easy to remove with normal nail polish remover, rather than having to book a session with a manicurist or go through the cover-your-fingers-in-acetone-soaked-cotton-wool-then-wrap-them-in-foil- and-sit-for-ages removal ritual. According the the website you also just need one coat and that is dry within a minute (the one second of the name refers to how long it takes to paint each nail).

I have a couple of problems with this: one coat looks great - mostly. With the dark taupe shade coverage is good but you need a second coat otherwise when you hold your fingers up to the light you can see through it on your nail tips. This may not be such a problem with a lighter shade. Also, for me at least, it takes more than a minute for the enamel to dry - perhaps it has something to do with the heat of your skin? I don't know but what I do know is I managed to smudge it more than 10 minutes after applying it.

On the plus side, I love the extra wide brush, which covers your nails in the shortest time; it makes such a change from those polishes that have mean, skinny little brushes. I also love the finish - it is indeed gel-like, feels so smooth and I can't stop touching it.

Obviously it doesn't last as long as a gel manicure, but it's an easy way to create that gel look at home.

I have tried it without a top coat and achieved a shiny effect, but in this image I have applied a top layer of Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat for ultra shiny. www.bourjois.co.uk


6 comments:

  1. I love Liz Earle's beauty products but didn't realise she did make up too, so thanks very much for this post. The lipstick colours look brilliant and I'm definitely going to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are new, but I believe she did some make-up before though not such an extensive range. The lip colours are lovely and there are lots of them! Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    How long did the Bourjois polish last before chipping - I would be interested to know! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I applied it yesterday and it's still looking good today. Last time I wore this the finish lasted about three days before chipping perhaps... but I had only applied one coat and no top coat. I'll let you know when this one chips (I have been typing all day and it seems to be standing up to the pressure)! Also, I'm uploading a photo later (hopefully).

      Delete
  4. Have to try the lipstick just for the name sweetpea-my all time fave flowers! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comment. I love the colours I have as they are understated for daytime wear - I don't really do neon or brights as far as lipstick goes.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...