Thursday, 14 June 2012

Horse and rider safety - smartphone app

There's nothing better than hacking out in the summer sunshine, just you and your horse at one with nature. But sometimes that wonderful ride turns into a bit of a trip - I know, I've been there. 

Something spooks your horse - in my case it could be a blade of grass, a killer fridge abandoned in a gateway, a carriage pulled by a horse and followed by around four huge hounds (ok, in that instance it was totally understandable). But what do you do if the worst happens and you go out the side door? Speaking personally I always carry a phone with me (as well as polos in case of emergency catching situations) and happily I have never had to use it, managing to either limp home or hang on with no stirrups and by clamping myself to his body.


Now though there's possibly a better way. Horse & Hound reports news of an app that has just been launched to help riders in desperate situations. The Rider Rescue app sends your location to the company behind the product, PRP Rescue Services, they then send this information on to the emergency services and vets. It sounds like a good idea to me, but what do you think? It costs £15 per year through www.prprescue.me


4 comments:

  1. I think it's a great idea, a friend of mine was a runner. I saw was because they fell and hurt themselves in some woods, they didn't have their phone with them and had to make their way home damaging the injury more. Always worth the extra security.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think it's a brilliant idea - and so simple it's a wonder no one has thought of it before. I hadn't thought about an app for running but it makes sense, perhaps there is one available? I'll see what I can find out. Thank you for your comment Pippa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting app thought.
    I've got my stable on speed dial+
    I.C.E. " in case of emergency" for me and horse in the directory.
    I use a " Cardio Trainer" app that has GPS, and I have it linked to Twitter+ could send the RIDE to any email and they would know where I was.

    But....my delima is what if your steed gets away( mine has) or the rider you're with gets knocked out ?!!
    That happened to me last year ending in a life-flight trip.

    Now that I had to deal with it all, I'm making some Equine I.C.E. TAGS for my mare's bridle and saddle. Info for me ,her boarding home and vet - if she is found by strangers.

    Mine will have my name, contact info, medical info( first thing paramedics ask , allergies or medications) all on my little tag hanging from my neck, by my whistle!

    Life surely does help you get more prepared!
    KK
    Allhorsestuff blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. Attaching tags to your horse's saddle and bridle is such a good idea and won't cost much. I've heard about the ICE idea before and it's something I've been meaning to put on my phone, so thanks for the reminder. It's definitely worth doing just in case.

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment...